Current:Home > StocksTradeEdge-Trump asks judge in Jan. 6 case for 2-month extension to file pretrial motions -Blueprint Money Mastery
TradeEdge-Trump asks judge in Jan. 6 case for 2-month extension to file pretrial motions
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 15:17:21
Former President Donald Trump's legal team has asked the judge overseeing his federal election interference case for a two-month extension for the filing of pretrial motions.
The TradeEdgecurrent deadline for pretrial motions in the case is Oct. 9, with the case currently scheduled to go to trial on March 4.
Trump's legal team argues that this is the "first time a President has been charged for conduct committed while in office, and the first time the leading presidential candidate has been charged in the middle of a campaign by his opponent's administration."
MORE: Trump opposes special counsel's request for gag order in Jan. 6 case
As a result, they argue, "defense counsel must research and address issues of extreme constitutional import that require careful analysis and briefing."
Trump last month pleaded not guilty to charges of undertaking a "criminal scheme" to overturn the results of the 2020 election by enlisting a slate of so-called "fake electors," using the Justice Department to conduct "sham election crime investigations," trying to enlist the vice president to "alter the election results," and promoting false claims of a stolen election as the Jan. 6 riot raged -- all in an effort to subvert democracy and remain in power.
The request for a delay comes after Trump's legal team also asked the judge overseeing his classified documents case for a three-month delay to deal with issues related to their ability to view classified information. That trial is currently set to begin on May 20.
Trump pleaded not guilty in June to 37 criminal counts related to his handling of classified materials, after prosecutors said he repeatedly refused to return hundreds of documents containing classified information ranging from U.S. nuclear secrets to the nation's defense capabilities, and took steps to thwart the government's efforts to get the documents back.
Separately, special counsel Jack Smith's team said in a filing Thursday that there are some documents involved in the case that are so sensitive that they cannot even be stored with other classified information in a Sensitive Compartment Information Facility or SCIF -- a specially-prepared secure room for viewing highly classified materials.
"The Government stated at the September 12 hearing that there were five charged documents that the defense SCIF is not currently authorized to store," Smith's team wrote in a footnote regarding the secure facility being used by Trump's defense team. "The owners of four additional charged documents have since requested that those documents not currently be stored in the defense SCIF, and as a result, on September 26, the CISO removed those documents from the SCIF."
This includes nine documents in total, according to the special counsel, who said in the filing that they are attempting to establish a location in Florida to where the documents can be viewed.
Smith's team says that in the meantime, they can be viewed at a location in Washington, D.C.
veryGood! (7619)
Related
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Commanders fire coach Ron Rivera as new ownership begins making changes
- Family receives letter that was originally sent to relatives in 1943
- Memphis judge maintains $1 million bond for man charged with firing shots at Jewish school
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- David Foster's Daughter Sets the Record Straight on Accusation He Abandoned His Older Kids
- Endangered jaguar previously unknown to U.S. is caught on camera in Arizona
- A 5-year-old boy was shot and killed while getting his hair cut, Alabama police say
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Emma Stone Jokingly Reacts to Support From “A--hole” Taylor Swift
Ranking
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Montana governor, first lady buy mansion for $4M for governor’s residence, will donate it to state
- Parents of Iowa teen who killed 1 and wounded 7 in shooting say they had ‘no inkling’ of his plan
- Ohio teacher undergoes brain surgery after 15-year-old student attacks her
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Headless, drained of blood and missing thumbs, cold case victim ID'd after nearly 13 years
- Indiana governor seeks childcare and education policies in his final year
- Indiana governor seeks childcare and education policies in his final year
Recommendation
This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
Newspaper sues city for police records, mayor directs ‘immediate steps’ for response
North Carolina insurance industry proposes average 42% homeowner premium increase
Arrest made in deadly pre-Christmas Florida mall shooting
Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
Pakistan’s court scraps a lifetime ban on politicians with convictions from contesting elections
Oscar Pistorius released on parole after serving almost 9 years for killing girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp
Merry Christmas! Man buys wife Powerball ticket as a gift, she wins $2 million